Cleaning and Care Tips for Hardwood
When it comes to cleaning and caring for your floors here are some important tips.
Hardwood floors for example are a lifetime investment so it is important to understand how to care for them. It is important that room temperatures range between 60-80 degrees and the humidity between 30-50% year around for best care. It is important to clean hardwood on a regular basis keeping dirt off them so there isn’t a buildup. When using a mop only use suggested times because too much water can create long term damage.
Some important do’s and don’ts when cleaning
- You can sweep, mop, dust, vacuum but use all that are approved for your flooring type. Always check your manufacturer recommendations before using any products to clean your floors.
- If something spills you can use a cloth or paper towel and it should quickly absorb the moisture. Leaving water on the floor can cause damage. Use appropriate floor cleaners and safety bottoms on furniture.
- Keep the blinds and windows closed during hot sunny days. This will protect your floors from unnecessary fading.
- Use rugs and mats to protect against damage from furniture. This will also protect hardwood flooring against the dirt and other damaging debris being tracked in the room.
- When it comes to shoes, its important to keep anything sharp or pointy off the floors, so the floors don't have dents caused by pointy heel. Take the shoes off at the door, it’s the best way to keep dirt out. Another important tip is to keep a rug around the areas that tend to get wet more, good examples are kitchens and entryways.
- Do not use oil-based products to clean and care for your floors, especially soaps. This will leave a damaging residue over time.
- Do not ever wax a lacquered floor or drag metal furniture across the floor. You can use furniture pads to protect the hardwood flooring from scratches and scuff marks.
- Never use a steam cleaner on a hardwood surface and check the manufacturer recommendations before using on other flooring options.
- Never put flowerpots on your floor if they leak water, this can damage your floor. To protect floors, keep water to a minimum and clean regularly.
Color changes can happen with floors especially hardwood. There are hardwood floors and other types of flooring that clearly change colors after they are exposed to air and sunlight and others that may slightly change over time. If you don’t want color changes move rugs around and change up your furniture placement. This can help but some floors look more beautiful over time with the aging and changes.
Some seasonal gapping can happen over time especially with wider planks. This is normal, and wood will commonly change shape especially if drastic environmental changes happen or water gets on the floor. It is possible to see cracks in wood flooring and then they completely go away during a different season due to temperature changes. This is common around areas with humidity fluctuations that are very high and low. With some wire brushed floors the top can have minor snags so be careful wiping up the floors. Try to use a lint free cloth or mop and stay away from the microfiber mops. Those are popular in stores but can snag and pull your flooring creating damage. Keep your pets’ nails trimmed and always keep a mat under the dog bowl. This will help protect your floors.
There are many different options for cleaning and maintain your floors so make sure your picking the right products for your floors. Investing in your home is important and you want your floors to last forever so don’t invest in the floors and not in the cleaning supplies. If your floors are water resistant - wonderful! - but water can still cause damage. Keep your investment protected and remember if you do damage your floors visit Floorzz, we have all the name brands you love right at the click of a few buttons. Not only can you order your floors online, but we ship them directly to your home or job site. There is no need to come in and have someone try to sell you what they love, take the time to look at what you love and if you have questions, we are always available to help you and answer your questions. Visit Floorzz today and get a price quote with a few clicks.
For more styles and different hardwood flooring options, please visit https://floorzz.com/collections/hardwood and find the best quality floor for your next renovation or newly build home.